Saturday, March 16, 2013

Command Line Crash Course: Lessons 2-4

With a new coat of nail polish drying on my toes, I move on to Lesson 2 in the Command Line Crash Course.

Lesson 2: Paths, Folders, Directories (pwd)

 In this lesson, I typed my first ever command in Terminal! It was "pwd," or "Print Working Directory" and Terminal gave me /home/jane. The next part of the lesson was to practice pwd and look up /home/jane in my graphical file browser, which I did. Hello /home/jane/ .

Lesson 3: What's Your Computer's Name?

This lesson uses hostname, which tells you the name of your computer. Mine is "janebox." Repeated 20x for practice.

Lesson 4: Make a Directory (mkdir)

This lesson is a little more complex, it involves typing multiple commands so you can create a hierarchy or directories. I'm glad I'm doing this in Linux, the code for Windows looks needlessly complex. I also learned that when you're writing a path you can't put spaces after the slashes because Terminal will read the space as the end of the path and ignore everything after it. I also learned that accidentally typing a question mark deletes the last part of the path. I also spent a not inconsiderable amount of time trying to figure out how I broke mkdir. The answer? A spelling mistake :-P I practised making several lengthy paths. This second one I made turned into the plot of Macbeth four folders in. Fun ^ ^


























No comments:

Post a Comment